Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Why Am I Writing this Blog? (Hint: I'm not job-hunting or consulting)

A friend and former boss called me last week to say a few nice things about this blog and then he asked if I'd gotten permission from my current boss to launch it. "No," I replied, "should I have?" "Well, he might think you're looking for a job…" 

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I suppose my friend has a point. So, let me put it out there, in case you've been reading my musings on guns and minutes, or falling in love with my amazing jokes, and thought, "wow, that's the guy we need in our office." Well, sorry, I'm currently spoken for.

Sincerely, I am writing this blog because I like to write, and I like to share information and opinions about nonprofits. Writing is a kind of analysis for me. When I start writing about a topic that interests me, it forces me to examine my own thoughts while articulating them.

It's not all high-minded idealism, though. I'll admit that I check my stats and get a slight ego stroke with each visit.

Along the same line, approaching an awkward level of honesty, I want to raise my profile in the nonprofit community. I have a pretty good range of experiences and I am egotistical enough to think my voice deserves to be heard. More selfishly, while I am currently very happily employed, there is no such thing as job security in the fundraising business. Having a larger reputation and network of contacts might come in handy some day if I need to find a new job or develop a consulting business.  

In the meantime, though, my goal with this blog is simple.  Post good stuff regularly, build readership, and have some fun.  

Obligatory Tangentially Related JokeJoe started getting terrible headaches.  They finally got to the point that he went to his doctor, and the doctor examined him, sighed and looked grave.

"Joe, I have good news and bad news.  The good news is I can cure your headaches... The bad news is that it will require castration. You have a very rare condition which causes your testicles to press up against the base of your spine. The pressure creates one hell of a headache. The only way to relieve the pressure is to remove the testicles."

"Doc, I can't live with this pain anymore.  I can't stand it.  Go ahead, let's do the surgery . . ."

A week later, the surgery was finished, and he left the hospital.  He didn't have a headache, but he was obviously kind of depressed.  He figured that he would go ahead and buy himself a new suit, and at least feel good about how he looked.  When he left the hospital, his mind was clear, but he felt like he was missing an important part of himself. 

He walked into a suit shop and told the salesman, "I want a new suit - the best suit in the store!"

The salesman eyed him briefly and said, "Let's see... size 44 long."

Joe laughed, "That's right, how did you know?"

"I'm a professional, and I've been working here for 30 years.  It's my job, and I'm good at it."

Joe tried on the suit. It fit perfectly. As Joe admired himself in the mirror, the salesman asked, "How about a new shirt?"

Joe thought for a moment and then said, "Sure..."

The salesman eyed Joe and said, "Let's see... 34 sleeve and... 16 and a half neck"

Joe was surprised, "That's right, how did you know?"

"I told you, it's my job."

Joe tried on the shirt, and it fit perfectly. As Joe adjusted the collar in the mirror, the salesman asked, "How about new shoes?"

Joe was on a roll and said, "Sure..."

The salesman eyed Joe's feet and said, "Let's see... 9-1/2... E."

Joe was astonished, "That's right, how did you know?"

"I'm good at my work."

Joe tried on the shoes and they fit perfectly. Joe walked comfortably around the shop and the salesman asked, "How about a new hat?"

Without hesitating, Joe said, "Sure..."

The salesman eyed Joe's head and said, "Let's see... 7-5/8."

Joe was incredulous, "That's right, how did you know?"

"30 years of experience."

The hat fit perfectly. Joe was feeling great, when the salesman asked,

"We might as well get you completely outfitted. How about some new underwear?" Joe thought for a second and said, "Sure..."

The salesman stepped back, eyed Joe's waist and said, "Let's see... size 36." Joe laughed, "No, I've worn size 34 since I was 18 years old."

The salesman shook his head, "No, absolutely not. You can't wear a size 34. It would press your testicles up against the base of your spine and give you one hell of a headache."

No comments:

Post a Comment